At WLS, we are photographers ourselves. We are well placed to advise you on the best safari options to maximize your opportunities to take pictures of wildlife.
We cater for general photographers with good infrastructure for charging batteries, camera rests and window seats in vehicles. However, if you are a serious photographer, please ask us for advise on options that best suit your needs. Remember, we do provide specialist photographic guides (James), vehicles and boats.
For now, do consider the following guide when planning:
- At most lodges, you will be put into safari vehicles with other guests that may not be serious photographers – this may hinder your time spent at sightings and they may shake the vehicle. Therefore our private mobile safaris are a “no-brainer.”
- Private vehicles for photographers are available at most lodges – costs vary but it is generally quite expensive to do this! Another reason why our mobile safaris are a better idea for serious photographers.
- On our mobiles, we can be very flexible with our game drives times. In other words, if you want to stay out with the animal indefinitely (to improve your chances of getting that perfect action shot), then we stay with the animal!
- Generally, most guides are trained to position their safari vehicles in optimum positions for photography. However, some (general) lodge guides may not be adept at doing this well.
- If your itinerary includes a charter flight on a small plane: remember the strict luggage restrictions. Make inquiries if you plan to carry a lot of gear
- Bring lots of spare batteries and memory cards (unlikely you will be able to buy more)
- Bring correct adapters for your charging devices. We have a selection of chargers on our vehicles and boats (but maybe not the exact one you need?)
At WLS, we have some excellent concepts and ideas for photographic clients and groups -please do let us know if you are a serious wildlife photographer.