This watery wilderness, deep within the Kalahari, remains as one of Africa’s most untouched and exclusive safari destinations. At WLS, we live on its doorstep – overall government policy has protected this entire wetland for wildlife and we are well placed to explore it! Mostly, when we talk of “going into the Okavango,” we mean by safari boat rather than into the “vehicle-based” game viewing areas of Moremi. However, at WLS we have access to both “wet” and “dry” locations in the Moremi Game Reserve.
Okavango Itineraries (By Boat or Vehicle)
The Okavango has been divided up into concessions, where visitor numbers are strictly kept low at exclusively managed lodges. We cannot access these private areas on our safaris. However, within the Okavango, is the Moremi Game Reserve. This is probably Africa’s greatest park, and we can certainly access this part of the Okavango – we have private campsites in the prime “game drive” areas of Moremi (Xinii Lagoon, 2nd Bridge, Bodumatau, Dead tree Island, 4th Bridge, Xakanaxa), far from public campsites and lodges. There are also various concessions on the border of the park that do allow road access for our mobile safaris – we recommend the Khwai Community Concession and the area around the Mababe Depression. We visit the dry land part of Moremi as it is a prime game viewing destination.
Another way to experience the Okavango is on one of our boat safaris to Chiefs Island. Our boats go to parts of the delta that vehicles simply cannot get to. For the complete experience, complete a Trans Okavango, traversing the delta from top to bottom by boat.
- Explore by Mokoro (Dug-out canoe)
- Outstanding opportunities to track predators and follow them hunting in Moremi and Khwai
- Walking safaris on Okavango islands on our boat safaris
- Go mobile and camp wild in the Okavango near Chiefs Island
- Camp in remote parts of Moremi – the best and most varied game viewing area in Botswana
- Find the big herds of elephant, buffalo and plains game in the game drive areas of Moremi
- Enjoy top quality birding.